These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Edmonton Sun Right-Center biased based on republishing National Post content and right-leaning editorial bias. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Funded by / Ownership
The Edmonton Sun is owned by PostMedia, which owns several right-leaning media outlets throughout Canada. According to a report in the left-leaning CanadaLand, PostMedia has directed its publications to be more “reliably conservative.” The newspaper is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Chatham Asset Management, a New Jersey-based hedge fund holds a large equity stake in Postmedia and majority ownership of American Media Inc. which owns the National Enquirer. David Pecker, who owns American Media, Inc. joined the Postmedia board, and then resigned from the board of Postmedia in 2018, due to his involvement of hush payments on behalf of his “friends” including President Trump and Harvey Weinstein.
According to the National Observer, PostMedia is in a downward spiral. After Postmedia announced a $1.4M loss for the last quarter of 2018, Paul Godfrey stepped down as CEO of the Postmedia Network and was replaced by Andrew MacLeod, as of 1/10/2019. Godfrey will remain as executive chair. Godfrey was also criticized for cutting 800 full-time jobs across Postmedia in 2016, while earning an annual salary of $1.7 million. For a list of directors and upper management please see here.
The Edmonston Sun is subscription-based and revenue is primarily derived from print and digital advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Edmonton Sun reports local news from journalists in the field and national/international news via the right-leaning National Post and the least biased Associated Press. All information tends to be properly sourced to credible media. Editorially, there is a right-leaning bias in story selection. For example, many editorials are opposed to Justin Trudeau. A sample editorial reads like this: Bell: Will Trudeau shaft Alberta — again?. In general, the news is reported factually and with a moderate conservative bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Edmonton Sun Right-Center biased based on republishing National Post content and right-leaning editorial bias. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/14/2016) Updated (9/23/2020)
Last Updated on September 23, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am