These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Democracy Now Left biased based on story selection that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station, Radio
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1996, Democracy Now! is an hour-long American TV, radio, and internet news program hosted by Progressive journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez. The show, which airs live each weekday at 08:00 ET, is broadcast on the internet and by nearly 1,400 radio and television stations worldwide. The program combines news reporting, interviews, investigative journalism, and political commentary.
According to their about page, “Democracy Now! is broadcast daily across the United States and Canada and in countries around the world. Our program is on Pacifica, NPR, community, college, and satellite radio stations; on PBS, public, community, and satellite TV; and viewed by millions of people online each day.”
Read our profile on the USA government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Democracy Now is a non-profit organization funded through donations from listeners, viewers, and foundations such as the Ford Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Democracy Now reports news with a strong left-leaning bias with moderate loaded words such as this House Oversight Chair: Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump Broke Federal Records Laws. News stories are not typically sourced with hyperlinks, but they provide quotes and video in most cases. Editorially, Democracy Now supports left-leaning causes such as pro-environment, progressive taxation, equal rights, and opposition to income inequality. Democracy Now does not report favorably on President Trump: Human Rights Attorney to Trump: “Israel Is Not Interested in the Golan Heights for Security.” In general, most stories favor the left and denigrate the right.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Democracy Now Left biased based on story selection that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/12/2016) Updated (3/23/2019)
Last Updated on April 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am