These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Democracy 21 strongly Left-Center Biased based on policy positions aligned with the Democratic party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Democracy 21 is a nonprofit watchdog group. Fred Wertheimer is the president of Democracy 21. NPR Supreme Court Reporter Nina Totenberg said, “Fred Wertheimer has helped write every campaign finance reform law since 1974. According to its website, its focus is “Democracy 21 provides the public and media with the latest information and analysis on money and politics and campaign finance reform efforts.”
Funded by / Ownership
Democracy 21 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Small donations generally fund the organization.
Analysis / Bias
Democracy 21 advocates campaign finance reforms supporting stricter campaign finance limits and regulations and opposes the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Citizens United v. FEC. They also support Bill H.R. 1, known as the For the People Act, which addresses voter access, election integrity and security, campaign finance, and ethics for the three branches of government. Specifically, the bill expands voter registration (e.g., automatic and same-day registration) and voting access (e.g., vote-by-mail and early voting). It also limits removing voters from voter rolls.
The website publishes articles and press releases with minimal bias such as this Support For Small Donor Financing Has Long and Deep Roots Among Senate Democrats, Must Be Kept In S. 1. In general, the sole focus of the website is to remove large corporate donors from the election process, which is a policy supported by the progressive wing of the democratic party.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Democracy 21 strongly Left-Center Biased based on policy positions aligned with the Democratic party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 7/28/2017) Updated (6/30/2021)
Last Updated on June 30, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am