These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Dot Left Biased based on editorial positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2011 by Nicholas White, the current editor, The Daily Dot is a digital media company covering Internet culture, politics, and life on the web. According to their about page, “In 2011, he launched the Daily Dot as a paper of record for the Web, utilizing little more than Google docs, a newsletter, and a small editorial team.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Dot is owned by Daily Dot, LLC, which is based in Austin, Texas. Revenue is primarily derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Daily Dot mostly covers technology news but also covers culture and politics. For this review, we will focus on politics. The Daily Dot, at worst, uses moderately loaded language in headlines, with most being minimal such as this: MAGA bomber sentenced to 20 years in prison. This story is appropriately sourced. When reporting on President Trump, the Daily Dot does not have a favorable view, with articles like this: WTF was Donald Trump doing with his hand at last night’s rally? And this: The latest terrifying deepfake combines Donald Trump and Mr. Bean. This story is also appropriately sourced to credible left-leaning sources such as Vox and the Washington Post.
When it comes to science, they support the consensus across the board, such as this on GMOs: Nobel laureates urge Greenpeace to drop its crusade against GMOs. In general, the Daily Dot holds a strong left-leaning editorial position while reporting news factually and with evidence.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Daily Dot Left Biased based on editorial positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/30/2021)
Last Updated on October 30, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm