Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) is an independent, non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization based in Washington, D.C. that addresses federal budget and fiscal issues. CRFB focuses on many issues including deficit reduction, “entitlement” reform, fundamental tax reform, improving the budget process, and other topical issues as they arise. It was founded in 1981 by former United States Representatives Robert Giaimo (D-CT) and Henry Bellmon (R-OK), and its board of directors includes former Members of Congress and directors of the Office of Management and Budget, the Congressional Budget Office, and the Federal Reserve.
Funded by / Ownership
The CRFB is a part of the New America Foundation (NAF), a 501(c)(3) that receives considerable funding from the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The CRFB is primarily concerned with reducing the federal budget generally through entitlement reform. The website offers news and a blog that uses minimal loaded words such as this Treasury Reports $63 Billion Deficit for July, Pushing FY 2020 Total to $2.8 Trillion. This story is sourced to the Treasury Department. When reporting on political issues they remain mostly neutral with stories such as this How Much Would President Trump’s Executive Orders Cost?
Editorially, CRFB generally aligns with the right when it comes to fiscal matters, however, they report on climate change from a pro-science perspective that evaluates economics rather than the actual science of climate change. In general, information is presented factually with a very slight right lean when it comes to budgets.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, they are frequently used by IFCN fact-checkers to evaluate budget claims.
Overall, we rate The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) slightly Right-Center Biased based on advocacy for a reduction in entitlement spending. We also rate them Very High in factual reporting based on regularly being used as a resource for IFCN fact-checkers. (D. Van Zandt 9/7/2016) Updated (8/13/2020)
Last Updated on September 27, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am