These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Downsizing the Federal Government Right-Center biased based on the endorsement of libertarian-leaning policy and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
According to their about page: “Downsizing the Federal Government is a project of the Cato Institute. Scholars at Cato believe that cutting the federal budget would enhance personal freedom, increase prosperity, and leave a positive fiscal legacy to the next generation. This website is designed to help policymakers and the public understand where federal spending goes and how to reform each government department.”
Funded by / Ownership
Downsizing the Federal Government is owned and published by the Libertarian-leaning Cato Institute. The Cato Institute is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit think tank. According to their about page, “Cato receives approximately 80 percent of its funding through tax-deductible contributions from individuals, many of whom are responding to informative, direct mail solicitations and program updates.” Cato offers an annual report that shows the percentages of money received and their IRS 990 form. The Cato Institute is funded by various organizations, including the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Charles Koch Foundation, and Sarah Scaife Foundation. They further state, “The creation of this website was made possible by the generosity of the Opportunity Foundation, the Searle Freedom Trust, and the Woodford Family Foundation.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, Downsizing the Federal Government is a libertarian blog that heavily sources the Cato Institute. There is minimal use of loaded words in headlines and articles such as this: Federal Spending Rescission. Other sources used on this blog are the Wall Street Journal and the Stimson Center. A factual search reveals they have not failed any fact checks. Like Cato, Downsizing the Federal Government recognizes anthropogenic climate change but offers the right-wing perspective of free-market solutions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Downsizing the Federal Government Right-Center biased based on the endorsement of libertarian-leaning policy and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 6/2/2018) Updated (01/31/2022)
Last Updated on January 31, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm