These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Least Biased based on reporting just the facts. However, they are more selective on what they check, depending on the administration in charge. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to being evidence-based.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: VERY-HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation (Government)
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1974, The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is a federal agency within the legislative branch of the United States government that provides budget and economic information to Congress. The Congressional Budget Office is nonpartisan and produces “independent analyses of budgetary and economic issues to support the Congressional budget process.” Each year, the agency releases reports and cost estimates for proposed legislation without issuing any policy recommendations. The CBO was created as a nonpartisan agency by the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974.
Funded by / Ownership
The CBO is an agency of the federal government and funded by the government through the U.S. budget.
Analysis / Bias
Each year, the agency releases reports and cost estimates for proposed legislation without issuing any policy recommendations. There is a consensus among economists that “the CBO has historically issued credible forecasts of the effects of both Democratic and Republican legislative proposals.” In other words, the CBO tends to favor whoever is in charge. (we didn’t say that). For example, during the Biden administration, they focus on the budget and how it relates to climate change Budgetary Effects of Climate Change and Potential Legislative Responses to It. While during the Trump Administration, they look at different metrics such as this Analysis of the Long-Term Costs of the Administration’s Goals for the Military.
They are least biased despite often being criticized by both sides when their reports are not favorable to that side. The CBO is the most credible agency for factual budget projections as they are paid to do so.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Least Biased based on reporting just the facts. However, they are more selective on what they check, depending on the administration in charge. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to being evidence-based. (D. Van Zandt 5/25/2017) Updated (5/6/2021)
Last Updated on May 6, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am