- Overall, we rate The Citizens Journal Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, the use of poor sources, and failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Pseudoscience, Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2013, The Citizens Journal is a news and opinion website serving Ventura County, California. According to their about page, they are “dedicated to reporting news vital to the community, including local governments, school boards, business, civics, politics and other issues important to Ventura County. We also put state, national and international events into perspective in how they affect us here.” They further state, “News is as objective as we can make it. Editorials are something else.”
Funded by / Ownership
Citizens Journal Enterprises LLC owns and publishes the Citizen Journal. Advertising and donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Citizens Journal covers local, state, and national news through citizen journalists who publish to the website. They also feature editorials and letters to the editor. Although they do not state their conservative bias, most news stories favor the right such as this Beverly Hills Firefighter Sent Home On Leave Without Pay For His Religious Beliefs. The story is appropriately sourced to credible media and primary sources. Again, when reporting national news, there is a strong right-leaning bias such as this Merrick Garland Cites Unexplained Threats Of Violence To Involve Authorities In Culture War Issues.
Editorially, they break op-eds into the categories Conservative, Libertarian, and Progressive/Liberal. This categorization is misleading because most op-eds are highly critical under the Progressive/Liberal category, such as this Kamala Harris Takes ‘Party Of Science’ Off Rails With One Mind-Boggling Tweet. This op-ed comes from the far-right questionable WND.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, the Citizens Journal has published misleading and false information such as this Over Half A Million Adverse Events Reported After COVID Vaccinations In The US So Far (And Counting). This story originates from the highly discredited Natural News, which routinely promotes pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and fails fact check. In general, The Citizens Journal holds a far-right editorial bias and publishes misinformation.
Failed Fact Checks
- NEW STUDIES: Covid Vaccines Do Not Prevent Infection, Spread – False
- “Wildfires Will Become Worse Thanks To Decades-Old Liberal Policies, Says Fire Expert Who Predicted Uptick In Blazes” – Low Scientific Credibility
Overall, we rate The Citizens Journal Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, the use of poor sources, and failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 10/09/2021) Updated (11/23/2021)
Last Updated on January 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/16/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emerging Europeby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/15/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am