These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate AMAC Right Biased based on political positions and story selection that favors the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2007, AMAC (The Association of Mature American Citizens) is a US-based interest group, which describes itself as the conservative alternative to AARP (the American Association of Retired Persons). The Association of Mature American Citizens, or AMAC, is based in Lady Lake, Florida.
Daniel C. Weber is the founder of AMAC, and on his bio page, he describes himself as “A devoted advocate of free enterprise.” He refers to AMAC “as a way to unite citizens to defend our American way of life.” A quote from the FAQ page regarding the organization’s purpose is stated as “other major 50+ organizations were too liberal and did not represent his views. Rather than do nothing, Weber decided to begin his own organization. AMAC is a conservative, non-partisan organization representing those whose core beliefs are not represented by other major 50+ organizations.”
You can view the complete list of the board of directors here.
Funded by / Ownership
AMAC’s revenue, according to their FAQ page, is originally from their founder, Dan Weber, and the site indicates the rest is derived from membership fees and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, AMAC is essentially a conservative version of AARP that boasts over 1 million members. The website indicates their conservative political positions, such as support for the 2nd Amendment, Small Government, Fiscal Responsibility, Religious Freedom, Pro-Life, Low Taxes, and Repeal Obamacare. Besides promoting their agenda, they also republish news with loaded emotional headlines such as this: Portland Is the New Berkeley: “Occupy ICE” and Antifa Mayhem and this, Will the FEC Please Stand Up — and Hold Hillary Clinton Accountable?
Republished articles tend to come from strongly right-leaning sources such as the New American and Inside Sources. AMAC also publishes original content that again utilizes loaded language such as this: Courts Say Protestors Can Disrespect The Flag, But You Don’t Need a Court Order To Salute The ‘Grand Old Flag,’ says AMAC. This article is properly sourced from credible information and media sources. This source does not align with the consensus on climate change when it comes to science. AMAC publishes strongly right-leaning conservative news and sometimes uses poor sources.
Failed Fact Checks
- AARP backed “federal funding for Planned Parenthood.” – False
- “If you and I fail to defund ObamaCare now, some 16,000 new IRS agents will be begin prying into our private medical records, eyeing each and every one of our treatments and prescriptions for “violations’.” – Pants on Fire
- The American Association of Retired People — help elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other Democrats in the 2018 congressional mid-term elections – False
Overall, we rate AMAC Right Biased based on political positions and story selection that favors the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 6/19/2019) Updated (02/06/2022)
Last Updated on February 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am