A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Americans For Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, lack of transparency, promotion of propaganda, and designation as a Christian Hate Group by another organization.
Reasoning: Anti-LGBTQ, Hate Group, Lack of Transparency, Propaganda
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1996, Americans For Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) describes itself on their About Page as an “educational group” with a goal of “exposing the homosexual-bisexual-transgender activist agendas.” Peter LaBarbera is the founder and the President. The about page further explains their mission as “AFTAH seeks to apply the same single-minded determination to opposing the radical homosexual agenda and standing for God-ordained sexuality and the natural family as countless homosexual groups do in promoting their harmful agenda.”
Funded by / Ownership
Americans For Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) was formerly a non-profit 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization; however, in May 2010, the IRS revoked its status after it “failed to file multiple required 990 forms for three consecutive years.” Currently, the organization is funded through donations and does not disclose financial information.
Analysis / Bias
Peter LaBarbera states his views in a blog post, in which he states, “As America and the West rapidly de-Christianize, the physical, spiritual, and moral threats to our children rise, seemingly in inverse proportion to the expanding godless chaos. The LGBTQ movement, essentially a powerful, well-marketed sin movement, is right up there with radical feminists in tearing down centuries-old norms and our children’s innocence in the process.”
In review, the website features a link to Pro-Truth resources, which essentially links to far-right Christian organizations and other hate groups such as the Family Research Council. AFTAH also features a blog presumably written by Peter LaBarbera, though there isn’t much information to make that determination. The blog features loaded emotional wording such as this: Legal “Gay Marriage” Ruling Was Built on a Lie. In another story, they demonstrate support for President Trump: Trump Flushes Obama’s Transgender Bathroom School Order – HRC in a Tizzy. In general, the sole purpose of this website is to promote far-right Christian propaganda against the LGBTQ through the use of poor sources such as LifeSiteNews and Breitbart.
Overall, we rate Americans For Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, lack of transparency, promotion of propaganda, and designation as a Christian Hate Group by another organization. (M. Huitsing 02/15/2022)
Last Updated on February 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am