These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the New American Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to rejecting the consensus of science and poor sourcing techniques.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The New American (TNA) is a print magazine published twice a month by American Opinion Publishing Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of the John Birch Society. The JBS is a right-leaning group, and the editor is Gary Benoit.
Funded by / Ownership
The New American is owned by the John Birch Society, described as a radical right and far-right organization. The Southern Poverty Law Center has described the John Birch Society as anti-government and anti-immigration. The New American generates revenue through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the New American publishes news that is favorable to the right. There is the frequent use of loaded emotional wording such as this: Rep. Massie Ridicules John Kerry’s “Pseudo-Science” on Climate. This story is sourced back to old New American articles and not too credible sources to support their claims. When it comes to science New American does not support the consensus of science on climate change. In general, New American publishes stories that are always favorable to the right such as this: Seattle Is Dying: Radical “Progressivism” Is the Reason. Finally, during the Covid-19 pandemic, they have promoted misinformation. See failed fact checks.
Failed Fact Checks
- CDC admits cloth face masks don’t protect against coronavirus – False
- “We have vaccines because we didn’t have treatment for smallpox and it was a very deadly disease that made sense to have a vaccine. […] but [COVID-19]? Even without doing anything, this disease has a 99.991[%] chance of survival.” – Unsupported
Overall, we rate the New American Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to rejecting the consensus of science and poor sourcing techniques. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 05/17/2021)
Last Updated on May 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am