These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate WestMonster Right Biased based on support for conservatives and the promotion of propaganda that supports right-leaning causes. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources that have failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Founded in 2017 by Arron Banks, WestMonster is a London, England based website that promotes “pro-Brexit, pro-Farage, pro-Trump, anti-establishment, anti-open borders, anti-corporatism news.” Michael Heaver is the current editor.
Funded by / Ownership
Westmonster is co-owned by Arron Banks and Michael Heaver, former press adviser to Nigel Farage. Banks was previously one of the largest donors to the conservative UK Independence Party (UKIP) and bankrolled Nigel Farage’s campaign to leave the EU. The website is funded through donations and online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WestMonster is a strongly right learning news website that favors Brexit and has connections to both the Conservative Party and the UK Independence Party (UKIP). Articles typically contain loaded emotional headlines such as this: Jailed Peterborough MP ‘could leave prison today under early release scheme’. This article sources to the Questionable Daily Mail, which has a terrible track record with fact-checking and sensationalism. WestMonster holds anti-immigration positions as well as anti-EU sentiments. WestMonster also holds a favorable opinion of Donald Trump. In general, all stories favor the right and denigrate the Labor Party (Left). Although they primarily link to credible known sources, they sometimes use sources that are strongly right biased, or Questionable.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check by an IFCN Fact Checker.
Overall, we rate WestMonster Right Biased based on support for conservatives and the promotion of propaganda that supports right-leaning causes. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources that have failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 8/1/2017) Updated (2/26/2019)
Last Updated on November 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am