These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate WebMD Pro-Science based on citing medical literature. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on proper scientific sourcing.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, WebMD is an American corporation known primarily as an online publisher of news and information pertaining to human health and well-being. Although WebMD is typically scientifically sound, it has been criticized for promoting unnecessary drugs by its pharmaceutical sponsors. Although this was several years ago and no longer appears to be the case.
Funded by / Ownership
WebMD is owned by KKR & Company Inc., an investment firm based in New York City. The company also owns Medscape, EMedicineHealth.com, and MedicineNet. Revenue is derived through advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WebMD provides information on drugs and supplements, living healthy, family and pregnancy, and news & experts. Each of these is broken down into subcategories. Let’s cut to the chase. People come to WebMD to find out about drugs and diagnose medical conditions. While it is recommended to see an actual living doctor for these questions, WebMD is an excellent place to start and a great way to generate questions for your Doctor’s visit. They may roll their eyes, but it is better to be informed and ask the correct questions. With that said, WebMD is a pro-science source that is factual but not a hard science source.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WebMD Pro-Science based on citing medical literature. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on proper scientific sourcing. (D. Van Zandt 11/27/2016) Update (11/29/2021)
Last Updated on November 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am