These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Medscape a Pro-Science website based on fact-based scientific material that is usually peer-reviewed.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Medscape is a web resource for physicians and health professionals. It features peer-reviewed original medical journal articles, CME (Continuing Medical Education), a customized version of the National Library of Medicine’s MEDLINE database, daily medical news, major conference coverage, and drug information—including a drug database (Medscape Drug Reference, or MDR) and drug interaction checker.
Funded by / Ownership
KKR & Company owns Medscape. They also own the WebMD website. Advertising and sponsored content generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Medscape publishes general medical news articles, videos, and medical data geared toward health professionals. What separates Medscape from other medical news sites is that they cover more technical terminology geared toward an educated audience. News stories do not use loaded language, such as this FDA Panel Backs Pfizer’s COVID Booster for 65 and Older, Those at High Risk. They also publish studies such as this Ticagrelor of Net Clinical Benefit After Stroke, TIA: THALES. Finally, they republish news articles from the Associated Press, Reuters, and WebMD. Finally, the website offers the ability to search the Medline information database.
Editorially, Medscape steers clear of politics, but they will report when it involves healthcare such as this Biden Vaccine Mandate Will Test US Workplace Regulator. In general, there is little bias with political reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Medscape a Pro-Science website based on fact-based scientific material that is usually peer-reviewed. (D. Van Zandt 9/5/2017) Updated (9/19/2021)
Last Updated on September 19, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am