These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate TruthOrFiction.com Least Biased based on minimal editorializing of content. We also rate them Very High in factual reporting due to proper sourcing and being a reliable fact checker for over 20 years.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1999, TruthOrFiction.com (also TruthOrFiction.org) is a “myth-busting” website about urban legends, Internet rumors, “erumors,” e-mail forwards, and other questionable pictures or stories. Unlike other similar websites, TruthOrFiction.com does not primarily provide fact-checking about current events. Instead, it often addresses wild and amazing claims, pictures, or stories that resurface cyclically. Some stories resurface every year, or every election year, while some suddenly reappear after years of dormancy.
According to their mission page, “Our team brings decades of award-winning journalistic experience to the public discourse, where we will debunk propaganda, disinformation, and misinformation, offer context and nuance to help you better understand where to look next, and trace the effects of so-called “fake news” around the world so you can better understand how to tell the real from the false.”
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
TruthOrFiction fact checks a wide range of claims from politics to urban legends, chain mails, viral memes, and anything else that may be viral. The website describes a credible methodology and rating system that displays minimal bias. Political fact checks and analysis do not use loaded wording to sway the reader, such as this Rasmussen: ‘Trump 2024 Would Beat Either Biden or Harris’. This analysis determined the claim be decontextualized because it was not a political poll but a survey, which is not as accurate as polling.
We want to disclose that we frequently use TruthOrFiction as a primary source when reviewing the factual content of media sources. I have personally used them for 15 years and have found their content minimally editorialized and continuously well researched and accurate.
Failed Fact Checks
- They are a credible fact-checker with a long history and solid methodology.
Overall, we rate TruthOrFiction.com Least Biased based on minimal editorializing of content. We also rate them Very High in factual reporting due to proper sourcing and being a reliable fact checker for over 20 years. (D. Van Zandt 10/17/17) Updated (10/29/2021)
Last Updated on October 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am