A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Trending Politics Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, and several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2019, Trending Politics is a hyper-partisan conservative news and opinion website. They fully disclose their bias on the about page as follows: “We provide conservative commentary on the news stories of the day. Studies have shown that 90%+ of the stories about President Trump are negative, so we like to bring the other side of the story to you. With that being said, we aren’t shy to admit we’re biased. The majority of our articles will have a good amount of Pro-Trump opinion weaved into it.”
They do not disclose editors or ownership of the website.
Read our profile on the United States government and media.
Funded by / Ownership
Trending Politics does not openly state who owns them; however, social media links on the homepage connect with Ilovemyfreedom.org, rated as a Questionable source. I Love My Freedom discloses on their about page that “ILoveMyFreedom.org is Co-Owned by A. Ferretti, R. Nosbish, Jack Murphy, and Clayton Keirns. We are proud to say that we’ve never taken a single penny from any donor, and we are completely funded by our loyal customers and subscribers by the revenue generated through the website.” They also have an online store that sells Pro-Trump and Conservative merchandise. Trending Politics displays ads and links to the ILoveMyFreedom store.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Trending Politics rarely publishes original reporting but rather offers commentary to news stories from other sources. Headlines and wording of articles often use emotionally loaded language such as this: House Democrats Sue Trump For Another Ridiculous Reason. This story is sourced from the Questionable Breitbart, which has failed numerous fact checks. Regarding sourcing information, they use a combination of credible sources such as the New York Times, Politico, and Reuters and poor sources such as the Gateway Pundit and Defiant America.
Editorially, story selection always favors the right and typically reports on President Trump positively: Don’t Impeach Trump. He Puts America, Not Ukraine, First and negatively on liberals such as this, Schiff Exposed After Report Reveals Disturbing Ties Within His Own Committee. Trending Politics also promotes conspiracy theories such as this: Investigation Into Ilhan Omar Reveals Fraudulent Tax Returns Possibly Linked to Marriage to Her Brother. Fact-checkers have determined that the claim she married her brother is unproven and hence a conspiracy theory at this point.
Finally, Trending Politics frequently publishes disinformation regarding Covid-19 and vaccines. See failed fact checks below.
Failed Fact Checks
- Disinformation targets Republicans who criticize Trump or support the impeachment inquiry – FALSE
- “The House Democrats snuck a provision into their $3 trillion bailout bill today that would keep the house in recess until July 21.” – PANTS ON FIRE
- Says the governors of Michigan, New York, and Nevada “have issued orders banning the prescription of hydroxychloroquine to patients with COVID-19.” – FALSE
- “Biden is making ‘maternity flight suits’ so pregnant women can fight in the military.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- Barack Obama Signals That Democrats Intend to Cheat in the Virginia Governor’s Election – FALSE
- Dr. Fauci Admits That Covid Vaccines May Actually Make People ‘Worse’ – False
- The Lancet Published Medical Professor’s Warning That Natural Immunity Has Made Vaccine Mandates Irrelevant – False
- “The risk of myocarditis is 800 times higher for vaccinated than unvaccinated young adults, according to a recent Swiss study” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate Trending Politics Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, and several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 11/27/2019) Updated (11/30/2022)
Last Updated on November 30, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources