A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be untrustworthy and should be fact-checked per article. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate TheSpectator.info Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, blatant plagiarism, a complete lack of transparency, and being an imposter website.
Reasoning: Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Plagiarism, Lack of Transparency, Imposter Website
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in December 2019, TheSpectator.info is a conservative imposter website using the same name as the credible Spectator Magazine. The website’s description reads, “A conservative publication and syndicator with one aspiration to fulfill: a media platform where truth conquers all.”
The website completely lacks transparency as they do not provide an about page, author names, or bios and do not disclose ownership or funding.
Funded by / Ownership
TheSpectator.info lists The Spectator Media as their copyright, while their domain is registered to the Lauder Institute, which is part of the prestigious Wharton School. This is fake information as there is no connection between this questionable website and this Ivy League school. Further, Spectator Media does not exist. Revenue is generated through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TheSpectator.info is a conservative imposter website that attempts to trick people into thinking they are the credible UK and US-based Spectator. News stories are often plagiarized from other sources through direct copy and pasting. For example, this story: The Latest Bidenbabble is copied and pasted from the factually Mixed PowerlineBlog (THE LATEST BIDENBABBLE.) Although they credit Powerline, it is reproduced word for word without permission, which is copyright infringement. Another story, Trump calls on states to ‘LIBERATE’ their people from coronavirus restrictions, is blatantly plagiarized from Foxnews.com. We can assure you they did not get permission to republish this.
Story selection always favors the right and denigrates the left such as this Immigration & Media: Elites Will Always Support Mass Immigration. This story is plagiarized from the credible National Review. Another source they frequently steal from is the Questionable Gateway Pundit, which has failed numerous fact checks. In general, this is a far-right fake imposter website.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years as they do not produce original content; however, the sources used have failed numerous fact checks.
Overall, we rate TheSpectator.info Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, blatant plagiarism, a complete lack of transparency, and being an imposter website. (D. Van Zandt 4/17/2020) Updated (07/29/2022)
Last Updated on July 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am