These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Addicting Info as a borderline Questionable Left Biased source due to far-left bias and Mixed for factual reporting based on multiple failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2010 by Matthew Kerry, Addicting Info provides a blend of news geared toward liberals that are meant to debunk conservative myths. According to their about page: “Addicting Info started as a resource to discredit all the lies and propaganda that the right-wing spreads.”
Update: Addicting Info ceased publication in May 2019.
Funded by / Ownership
Addicting Info is held by Addicting Info LLC and owned by Matthew Kerry. The website is funded through online advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Addicting Info always reports stories that favor the left and utilizes strong, emotional, sensationalized headlines such as this: GOP Candidate Wants To Dumb Down America By Eliminating Department Of Education. The article itself also contains highly emotional wording such as this: “The GOP’s battle to destroy everything that’s great about America is gaining more momentum than ever the longer Pres. Donald Trump and his ilk are running the country. The latest effort by a GOP candidate: make Americans and North Carolinians dumber by eliminating the Department of Education (DOE).” Although this story is highly biased against the right it is properly sourced. In reviewing multiple articles, most follow the same format of a clickbait headline that leads to an emotionally charged article that is sourced from factual information. In general, all stories favor the left and denigrate the right.
A factual search reveals a few failed fact checks by IFCN fact-checkers.
- Did President Trump Shut Down the White House Phone-In Comment Line? – MOSTLY FALSE
- Liberal blog: U.S. cops killed more people in one month than U.K. cops killed last century – FALSE
- Did Mitch McConnell Vow to Block the Appointment of a Russia Investigation Special Prosecutor? – MOSTLY FALSE
Overall, we rate Addicting Info a borderline Questionable Left Biased source due to far-left bias and Mixed for factual reporting based on multiple failed fact checks. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/15/2019)
Last Updated on December 23, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am