These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Progressive Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor progressive-liberal causes. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Progressive is an American monthly magazine of politics, culture, and progressivism with a pronounced liberal perspective. Founded in 1909 by Senator Robert “Fighting Bob” La Follette, it was originally called La Follette’s Weekly and then simply La Follette’s. In 1929, it was recapitalized and had its name changed to The Progressive. The current editor is Bill Lueders.
Funded by / Ownership
The magazine and website are owned by Progressive Inc., based in Madison, Wisconsin. Revenue is derived through donations and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Progressive is a magazine and website known for promoting pacifism and resistance to corporate power in the fight to protect democracy. It supports civil rights and civil liberties, gender equality, immigrant rights, labor rights, environmentalism, criminal justice reform, and democratic reform. Headlines and articles utilize moderate loaded language: How the International Media Greenlights Israeli Aggression Toward Palestine. This story, like all reviewed, is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as the New York Times, NBC News, and France 24.
Editorially, as described above, they tend to favor the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, such as Bernie Sanders, while reporting negatively on conservatives and former President Trump. In general, The Progressive mostly reports news factually with proper sourcing while promoting progressive left editorial positions.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Progressive Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor progressive-liberal causes. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact check. (5/15/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 11/20/2021)
Last Updated on November 20, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm