These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate The Nevada Independent Least Biased based on a reasonably balanced editorial page and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
According to their about page “The Nevada Independent is a nonpartisan, nonprofit news and opinion website founded in 2017 by veteran political journalist and commentator Jon Ralston. The site and its supporting channels are focused on ethical, unbiased, and transparent journalism. In general, we aim to gather and disseminate important public information and increase civic engagement.” Jon Ralston has been a political journalist and commentator covering Nevada Politics for over 30 years. His resume includes a talk show on PBS, local TV and Radio and writing for Politico. The website is also available in Spanish.
Funded by / Ownership
Jon Ralston is the founder, editor, and managing director. The website operates as a project of Nevada News Bureau, Inc. which is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a governing board of five directors. The Nevada Independent provides a full disclosure list of every single donor.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Nevada Independent primarily reports on issues and politics for the state of Nevada. There is minimal use of loaded language in news headlines such as this: Former deputy files another lawsuit against embattled Storey County sheriff. Information within articles is always sourced and in the case of the article listed above, it is sourced to court documents. Story selection tends to favor the left with some articles favoring left-leaning political positions such as clean energy and pro-immigration. However, most of these reports provide some balance through the use of counterpoints. Opinion pieces also tend to slightly favor the left and do utilize loaded words that favor the left such as this: “Talk about nonsense personified. But that’s Nevada’s Republican Party in the time of Trump. Not so long ago, a man who made a living running a stable of prostitutes might have thanked his lucky stars he was a pimp in one of the few places in America that it’s legal. But having pledged blind loyalty to the erratic charlatan in the White House, anything goes.” They also provide balance by having conservative-leaning op-eds such as this: Background checks and the danger of absurd political expectations. In general, news reporting is balanced with editorials slightly leaning left in number.
Overall, we rate The Nevada Independent Least Biased based on a reasonably balanced editorial page and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information. (D. Van Zandt 9/11/2018) Updated (3/1/2019)
Last Updated on November 4, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am