These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Type Media Center Left-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1966 (as The Nation Institute), Type Media Center is a nonprofit media organization associated with The Nation magazine. It sponsors fellows, host forums, publishes and is involved in awards for journalism. According to their about page, the mission of the Type Media Center is to be a “home for independent journalists and truth-tellers at all stages of their careers. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Type Media Center is a nonprofit organization that is funded by donations. Type Media Center fellows have included Naomi Klein, Wayne Barrett, Chris Hedges, David Moberg, Jeremy Scahill, and Chris Hayes.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Type Media Center sponsors fellows, hosts forums, publishes books and investigative reporting. The website also publishes news from other sources that are from their sponsored writers. Some of the sources that publish these writers are the Wall Street Journal, The New Republic, The Nation and Mother Jones. For the most part, the majority align with the left. Type Media Center does not produce original content but rather links to their writers who goes through different mediums on their Investigations page. In general, all information is factual, and leans left politically.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Type Media Center Left-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (12/4/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/23/2020)
Last Updated on December 23, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am