These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Libertarian Republic Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a Libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to the use of Mixed factual sources such as The Daily Caller and one failed fact check.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2012, The Libertarian Republic is a website that publishes news and opinions from a Libertarian perspective. According to their about page The Libertarian Republic is a free market news, culture, and opinion magazine featuring the writing of prominent libertarians, conservatives, independents, and sometimes democrats. The goal of TLR is to inform and educate citizens on important news stories from a perspective of economic freedom and personal liberty. We are non-partisan and devoted to the principles of liberty.”
The website founder and editor-in-chief is Austin Petersen, who is a former Republican Senate candidate in Missouri and a former candidate for the Libertarian Party’s 2016 nomination for President of the United States.
Funded by / Ownership
The Libertarian Republic discloses on their about page that the website is owned by Austin Petersen through his company Stonegait LLC, a for-profit consulting firm specializing in photo and video services. Revenue is derived through advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Libertarian Republic publishes news and opinion articles from a right-leaning libertarian perspective. The website also features a link to Austin Petersen’s morning radio broadcast. Headlines and articles use moderately loaded emotional language such as this Can Liberty Survive the Marxist Purge?. This story is properly sourced to Forbes and Clemson.edu. Headlines of articles generally reflect the content of articles and author names are provided with short bios. Story selection usually favors the right through original reporting as well as republishing of Daily Caller articles, which we rate Right biased and Mixed for factual reporting.
Editorially, the Libertarian Republic endorses free-market capitalism while condemning Democratic Socialism such as this: Ocasio-Cortez’s War on Wealth Is a War on All of Us. They do not typically endorse the Republican or Democratic Presidential candidates Out of 328 Million People, Why Can’t We Find Better Presidential Candidates?, and typically endorse the Libertarian Candidate No, A Third Party Vote Is Not A Vote For [insert candidate name]. When it comes to science they accept the realities of human-influenced climate change and offer free-market solutions Three Libertarian Ways to Address Climate Change. In general, the news is reported mostly factually from a libertarian free-market perspective.
Failed Fact Checks
- Catholics Attacked By BLM At Prayer Event at Statue of St. Louis. This story was rated Partly False by Reuters Fact Check.
Overall, we rate The Libertarian Republic Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a Libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to the use of Mixed factual sources such as The Daily Caller and one failed fact check. (8/19/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 7/8/2020)
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am