- Overall, we rate Republic World Right-Center biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing and numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: India (142/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched on May 6th, 2017, Republic World is an Indian News TV channel based in Mumbai, India. It was founded by Arnab Goswami and Rajeev Chandrasekhar, the vice-chairman of the Bharatiya Janata Party-The BJP, a right-wing party.
According to Reporters Without Borders, the media environment in India is threatened by increasing nationalism. In 2021, India’s world press freedom rank is 142 out of 180 countries.
Funded by / Ownership
At present Republic, World is owned by ARG Outlier Media, Asianet News, and Rajeev Chandrasekhar. The website is funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Republic World reports international news from mostly mainstream sources such as the Associated Press. They also publish stories with a left-wing bias that uses loaded headlines, such as this one that belittles President Trump and his claims of fake news: “Donald Trump Is The Undisputed Heavyweight President Of The World!” Further, they often source poorly as they do not provide links for their articles. When reporting India national news, they are pro-right Government due to their affiliation with political parties. In general, stories pertaining to India are highly biased toward the right-leaning Government.
Failed Fact Checks
- Republic TV falsely portrays man praising PM Modi as a Congress MLA – False
- Elephant was ‘fed’ a pineapple with firecrackers, and that the incident took place in Kerala’s Malappuram district. – False
- Republic TV initial coverage claimed that the gunman was an Anti-CAA protester. – False
- Footage to depict the recent ceasefire violations by Pakistan that were reported along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir on May 20, 2020. – False
- Muslims sabotaged efforts to contain COVID-19 in the state of Maharashtra and deliberately defied the lockdown – False
- Man in Madhya Pradesh’s Khargone had passed away from COVID-19 on 28 March. – False
- ‘China Lost 100 Soldiers In Galwan Clash,’ – False
Overall, we rate Republic World Right-Center biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing and numerous failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 9/6/2017) Updated (10/12/2021)
Last Updated on October 12, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check