These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Dispatch Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in early 2020 by Steven Hayes (Weekly Standard) and Jonah Goldberg (National Review), The Dispatch is a news and opinion newsletter, podcast, and website reporting from a conservative perspective. According to their about page, “We are a digital media company providing engaged citizens with fact-based reporting and commentary on politics, policy, and culture—informed by conservative principles. We deliver that work in newsletters, articles, and podcasts.” Steven Hayes serves as CEO and editor, while Jonah Goldberg serves as Editor-in-Chief.
On May 15, 2020, The Dispatch became a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network, which sets uniform standards for fact-checkers to abide by.
Funded by / Ownership
The Dispatch website does not clearly state ownership; however, it is assumed that Hayes and Goldberg, as co-founders are the owners. Revenue is derived through subscriptions via Substack.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Dispatch provides a daily newsletter to subscribers, several podcasts, and a website that displays free news and opinion content, including fact checks. Articles and headlines often use moderately loaded emotional language: Bernie Sanders and the Rise of Woke Marxism. This story, like most, is well written and adequately sourced to credible media outlets such as the LA Times, New York Times, and National Review.
Editorially, story selection often favors the more centrist right with stories moderately negative toward Democrats, such as this Why Is the Democratic Party Even Having Another Debate?, while at the same time not consistently reporting favorably on former President Trump, such as this: Trump Has a Chance to Unite Americans on Coronavirus. A quote from the article reads, “It appears finally to have been enough for Donald Trump. The president, who in recent weeks has frequently downplayed the severity of the coronavirus, addressed the nation about the crisis Wednesday night.”
We do not review podcasts; however, we reviewed The Dispatch’s fact checks and found them credible and accurate. A review of their fact checks demonstrates that they check both Democrats and Republicans, such as this: Has Donald Trump ‘Always Known’ Coronavirus ‘Is a Pandemic’? and Did Joe Biden Really Say ‘We Can Only Re-Elect Donald Trump’? (The Dispatch is a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network, which MBFC uses to fact-check sources) In general, The Dispatch reports news factually with a moderate conservative bias in story selection and editorial content.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Dispatch Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt 3/18/2020) Updated (8/01/2022)
Last Updated on August 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am