These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Australian Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to two failed facts and questionable reporting on climate change.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Australian is a broadsheet newspaper published in Australia from Monday to Saturday since 14 July 1964. It is the biggest-selling national newspaper in the country. In October 2018, it was announced that Chris Dore, former editor of The Daily Telegraph, would be taking over as editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Australian publishes news with story selection that moderately favors the right. There is the moderate use of loaded language such as this: ‘Democracy put in danger,’ and ABC ‘wants to skate over socialist failure’ in Venezuela. The Australian also integrates content from overseas newspapers owned by News Corp Australia’s international parent News Corp, including the right-leaning Wall Street Journal and The Times of London. Editorially, there is a distinct conservative bias in topic positions. Further, they often minimize and question the consensus of science on climate change, as evidenced by the failed fact check below.
Failed Fact Checks
- “The Australia bushfires have nothing to do with climate change; it was arson.” – False
- “On Behalf Of Environmentalists, I Apologize For The Climate Scare” – Low Scientific Credibility
- “The amount of coral on the Great Barrier Reef is at record high levels”; those claiming the reef is threatened by climate change are alarmists – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate The Australian Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to two failed facts and questionable reporting on climate change. (8/14/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am