- Overall, we rate Tablet Magazine as right-center biased based on an editorial bias that moderately favors the pro-Israel nationalist right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to the promotion of conspiracy theories despite a clean third-party fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Tablet Magazine founded in 2009, is an American Jewish daily online magazine based in New York City, owned by nonprofit Jewish organization Nextbook. Tablet Magazine covers topics such as “Jewish news, ideas, and culture” and accepts pieces from freelance writers. The current Editor in Chief is Alana Newhouse.
Funded by / Ownership
Tablet Magazine is owned by Nonprofit Nextbook, which supports “Jewish literature, culture and ideas.” Nextbook has received considerable donations from conservative philanthropist Keren Keshet. Grants and donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Tablet publishes news and analysis related to Jewish issues in the United States and worldwide. Most content is original and utilizes moderate loaded language, such as this The End of Citizenship. In another story, they promote the right-wing conspiracy theory that Fact-Checkers are a “governmental regulatory agency” Invasion of the Fact-Checkers. This story, like most, uses credible sources such as Politico and Columbia Journalism Review.
Editorially, Tablet favors a pro-Israel conservative perspective such as this The Most Legitimate State on Earth. Further, they promote Zionism in articles like The Price of Being a Zionist Woman on Twitter. When reporting on USA politics, they were never a fan of former President Trump; however, they frequently report negatively on President Joe Biden, Biden Blames the Jews for His Ukraine Policy and Don’t Believe Your Lying Eyes—or Joe Biden’s Big Mouth. Finally, when covering Covid-19 matters, they hold strong right-leaning opinions, such as How the CDC Abandoned Science. In general, Tablet Magazine has a right-leaning editorial bias and is mostly factual in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Tablet Magazine as right-center biased based on an editorial bias that moderately favors the pro-Israel nationalist right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to the promotion of conspiracy theories despite a clean third-party fact check record. (M. Huitsing 8/29/2017) Updated (03/28/2022)
Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am