These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Harper’s Magazine Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a moderate liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to in-depth journalism, proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Harper’s Magazine (also called Harper’s) is a monthly magazine of literature, politics, culture, finance, and the arts. Launched in June 1850, it is the second-oldest continuously published monthly magazine in the U.S. The current editorial director is Ellen Rosenbush. According to their about page “Harper’s Magazine, the oldest general-interest monthly in America, explores the issues that drive our national conversation, through long-form narrative journalism and essays, and such celebrated features as the iconic Harper’s Index.”
Funded by / Ownership
Harper’s Magazine is owned by the Harper’s Magazine Foundation, which is a nonprofit based in New York City. The Foundation is headed by John R. MacArthur who primarily funds the magazine. Revenue is generated through advertising, subscriptions and sale of merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Harper’s Magazine publishes long-form narrative journalism and essays in print and with limited access on the website. Topics consist of culture, politics and social issues from a moderately liberal perspective. Headlines contain moderately loaded language such as this: Left of Europe and this Never Would I Ever, which showcases President Trump’s inconsistencies with his statements. The magazine and website also features Harper’s Index, which presents interesting factual statistics. Editorially, most stories moderately favor the left and are very well written for an educated reader.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Harper’s Magazine Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a moderate liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to in-depth journalism, proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/14/2019)
Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am