These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Sky News Least Biased based on balanced news coverage and a reasonably balanced op-ed page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a reasonable fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1989 by Rupert Murdoch, Sky News is a British news organization, which operates a TV network of the same name, a radio news service, and distributes news through online channels. Sky News has sister outlets worldwide, such as Australia, Arabia, and Ireland. Sky News has won numerous awards, including in 2018, being named Royal Television Society News Channel of the Year, the eleventh time the channel had won the award.
Funded by / Ownership
Sky News is owned by Comcast as of November 2018 and is funded through advertising. Rupert Murdoch is no longer affiliated with Sky News UK; however, Newscorp still has a share of Sky News Australia, which reports with a right-leaning bias.
Analysis / Bias
This review covers UK website content only. Sky News reports on the UK, World, Politics, US, Ocean Rescue, Science & Tech, Business, Ents & Arts, and Offbeat. Sky News utilizes moderate to minimally loaded language in headlines and articles like this: Climate change demos in London: Police face challenges dealing with protesters. In another article, there is the use of mild loaded language that covers both sides, May and Corbyn highlight persecution of Christians and refugee crisis in Easter messages. Like most on Sky News, this article does not provide hyperlinked sourcing but instead relies on quotes and first-person accounts. A review of the opinion page reflects mostly balanced coverage, with some clearly in favor of the left.
News reporting is generally balanced and low-biased, with op-eds having a slight lean left. Under Rupert Murdoch, Sky News was frequently accused of having a right-wing bias; however, the left-leaning New Statesman disagrees and concludes that Sky News is impartial. Further, a Reuters institute survey found that 54% of respondents trust their news coverage and 19% do not, ranking them #5 in trust of the major UK news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Sky News Least Biased based on balanced news coverage and a reasonably balanced op-ed page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a reasonable fact check record. (5/18/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 3/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm