A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate the Santa Monica Observer Questionable based on the routine publication of false and misleading information and the use of poor sources.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Fake News, Lack of Ownership Transparency
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
According to their about page “The Santa Monica Observer is a free weekly print newspaper of general circulation and interest, founded in Santa Monica, California in 1998.” The publisher is David Ganezer who ran unsuccessfully for Santa Monica City Council in 2010.
Funded by / Ownership
The Santa Monica Observer is owned by SMMC, LLC, which appears to be inactive. The website and print publication are funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Santa Monica Observer publishes a mix of local news and patently false information. There is a right-wing bias in story selection such as this: FBI: Hillary Clinton to face Criminal Indictment for Email Abuse Very Soon. This story also in is not true. In general, non-local news favors the right and is almost always questionable.
A factual search reveals a few failed fact checks.
- Did Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Announce She Will Be Retiring in January 2019? – FALSE
- The gunman in a November 2017 mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas was identified as a Muslim convert named “Samir Al-Hajeed.” – FALSE
These are two failed fact checks that were reported by IFCN fact-checkers, however, there are many others such as the SMO reporting, Kanye West Appointed Under-Secretary of the Interior After Meeting at Trump Tower. Several things, first Kanye West was not appointed Under-Secretary of the Interior and second, there is no such position!
Overall, we rate the Santa Monica Observer Questionable based on the routine publication of false and misleading information and the use of poor sources. (D. Van Zandt 3/30/2019)
Last Updated on August 9, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am