These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate RealClimate as a highly credible Pro-Science source for information on climate change.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2004 and according to their about page, RealClimate is a “commentary site on climate science by working climate scientists for the interested public and journalists.” They state their purpose is “to provide a quick response to developing stories and provide the context sometimes missing in mainstream commentary.”
Funded by / Ownership
RealClimate does not disclose ownership as it appears this is a blog that 5 climate scientists publish. The sale of books generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
According to Time, RealClimate is “in line with the Web’s original purpose: scientific communication” with a “straightforward presentation of the physical evidence for global warming”. Articles and headlines are low biased and evidence-based such as this A deep dive into the IPCC’s updated carbon budget numbers. In general, they are highly factual and pro-science.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate RealClimate as a highly credible Pro-Science source for information on climate change. (M. Huitsing 8/31/2017) Updated (8/22/2021)
Last Updated on August 22, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am