These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Rand Corporation Pro-Science, Least Biased, and High for factual reporting.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1946, The RAND Corporation is a global policy think tank whose mission is to improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis. The RAND Corporation is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, U.S. According to their “about page,” The RAND Corporation is a “research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier, and more prosperous.” The RAND Corporation was founded by Henry Arnold, Donald Douglas, Major General Curtis LeMay, and the current President and CEO is Michael D. Rich.
Funded by / Ownership
The RAND Corporation is funded by U.S. government agencies, U.S. state and local governments; non-U.S. governments, agencies, and ministries; international organizations; colleges and universities; foundations; professional associations, other nonprofit organizations, and industry.
Analysis / Bias
According to a US News article dated 2011, the political leaning of the RAND Corporation is Centrist. Opensecrets.org indicates that RAND Corporation’s total contributions by party of recipient donate more to Democratic candidates.
RAND reports commentaries, periodicals, and blog posts. Their commentaries utilize credible sources such as NPR, NY Times, columbia.edu, and pro-science sites such as HowStuffWorks. Rand also republishes articles from credible right-center sources such as The National Interest (TNI) and least biased sources such as Reuters, utilizing neutral headlines such as “ How Do You Define Terrorism?”. Further, RAND reports research findings regarding public policy areas, including those related to (peer-reviewed) Environmental Science, climate change, energy and water, and other natural resources.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Rand Corporation Pro-Science, Least Biased, and High for factual reporting. (M. Huitsing 6/5/2018) Updated (7/29/2021)
Last Updated on July 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am