Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1998, HowStuffWorks is an American commercial educational website founded by Marshall Brain to provide its target audience an insight into the way many things work. The site uses various media to explain complex concepts, terminology, and mechanisms—including photographs, diagrams, videos, animations, podcasts, and articles. According to their about page they are a “source of unbiased, reliable, easy-to-understand answers and explanations of how the world actually works.”
Funded by / Ownership
HowStuffWorks is owned by iHeartMedia (Podcasting) and the website by System 1. Revenue is derived through advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, HowStuffWorks provides answers to questions such as What’s the Best Way to Stop a Nosebleed? They then use proper sources such as WebMD and Yale Medicine to answer the question. They also produce listicles such as this 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Donating Your Brain to Science and information not related to science such as this Why Is Populism So Popular Again?
Editorially, they cover politics more from a functional or historical perspective rather than personal, however, some stories may contain some bias such as this Conspiracy Theories About, Around and From Donald Trump. In general, HowStuffWorks is highly factual and displays minimal bias in their reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate HowStuffWorks Least Biased based on story and information selection that is minimally biased. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to the use of pro-science sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/27/2016) Updated (10/7/2020)
Last Updated on October 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am