These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Raleigh News and Observer Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1865, The News & Observer is a regional daily newspaper that serves the greater Triangle area based In Raleigh. The paper is the second largest in the state after The Charlotte Observer. The paper has also been awarded three Pulitzer Prizes. The current editor is Robyn Tomlin.
Funded by / Ownership
The Raleigh News and Observer is owned by The McClatchy Company, which owns numerous papers across the United States, including the Fresno Bee and the Kansas City Star. Revenue is derived from advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Raleigh News and Observer covers local news through journalists with minimal bias such as this: 3 men face charges in heroin bust as suspect escapes, causes wrecks in Chapel Hill. National and world news often comes from the Associated Press.
Editorially, the Raleigh News and Observer moderately favor the left through presidential endorsements that have always picked Democrats since at least 1980. Further, op-eds tend to favor the left as well such as this: Trump’s callous food aid cuts? NC is already there, though there are right-leaning opinions present within this paper.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Raleigh News and Observer Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/13/2019)
Last Updated on July 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm