These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Press Progress Left Biased based on story selection and wording that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Founded in 2013, Press Progress is an online news and analysis website, which is a project of the Broadbent Institute that seeks to provide an online Progressive Political news source. According to their about page “Our work focuses on investigative reporting, fact-checking and keeping tabs on issues that don’t get enough attention. We aim to break original stories that Canada’s big news outlets miss and advance stories on issues that matter to our progressive readership.”
Funded by / Ownership
Press Progress is owned by the Broadbent Institute, which a Canadian progressive and social democratic think tank. It was founded by Ed Broadbent in 2011. Press Progress is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Press Progress reports news and opinions that are favorable to the left. There is the frequent use of loaded language that favors the left such as this: . This story is appropriately sourced to credible outlets such as the Toronto Star, CBC, and the National Post. In general, story selection always favors the left and denigrates the right through the use of emotional language such as this: . This story is also properly sourced to credible media outlets, though the wording is emotional.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Press Progress Left Biased based on story selection and wording that consistently favors the left and High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/18/2017) Updated (6/7/2019)
Last Updated on July 12, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am