These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Center for a New American Security Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) is a Washington, D.C.-based think tank established in 2007 by co-founders Michèle Flournoy and Kurt M. Campbell which specializes in U.S. national security issues. According to their about page “CNAS is an independent, bipartisan, nonprofit organization that develops strong, pragmatic, and principled national security and defense policies. CNAS engages policymakers, experts, and the public with innovative, fact-based research, ideas, and analysis to shape and elevate the national security debate.” They further state “Since the Center’s founding, our work has informed key U.S. strategic choices and has been acted on by Republican and Democratic leaders in the executive branch and on Capitol Hill.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Center for a New American Security is 501(c)3 tax-exempt nonprofit organization. The website discloses their donors with those listed as giving 500K or more in 2018 as:
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation
- Quadrivium Foundation
- Smith Richardson Foundation, Inc.
- U.S. Department of State
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
Analysis / Bias
In review, CNAS focuses on terrorism, the future of the US Military, and natural resource consumption. The website provides in-depth research such as this Defense Priorities. Their research is always well-sourced. The website also publishes related news stories from other sources that have a slight leftward bias such as this Is It Wishful Thinking to Expect the U.S. to Return to the Paris Climate Deal? These stories often link to credible outlets such as Foreign Policy and the Washington Post. When reporting on the Trump Administration’s policies they often report negatively such as this: Why did the Pentagon ever give Trump the option of killing Soleimani? In general, they report factually with a left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Center for a New American Security Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (6/6/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/22/2020)
Last Updated on August 22, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds