The Center for a Stateless Society (C4SS) is a left anarchist think-tank and media center. Its mission is to explain and defend the idea of vibrant social cooperation without aggression, oppression, or centralized authority. They describe themselves as a Left-Market Think Tank and Media Center. According to their about page, they state their mission as “to enlarge public understanding and transform public perceptions of anarchism, while reshaping academic and movement debate, through the production and distribution of market anarchist media content, both scholarly and popular, the organization of events, and the development of networks and communities, and to serve, along with the Alliance of the Libertarian Left and the Molinari Institute, as an institutional home for left market anarchists.”
Funded by / Ownership
C4SS is owned by the Molinari Institute, a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The Molinari Institute does not list its donors nor does the Center for a Stateless Society.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Center for a Stateless Society advocates for Left-wing market anarchism, also known as free-market anti-capitalism and free-market socialism, and is a form of individualist anarchism and libertarian socialism. Confused yet?
In a nutshell, Left-wing market anarchists support anti-capitalist, anti-corporatist, anti-hierarchical, and pro-labor positions in economics; anti-imperialism in foreign policy; and socially liberal views regarding cultural issues such as gender, sexuality, and race. They also hold more collectivist views of ownership of either land or business, hence the pro-labor label.
The C4SS publishes news under their commentary tag. The reporting here is mostly opinion based and uses moderately loaded language such as this: Trumpism Reveals the Danger of Fusionism. This story is properly sourced from a wide variety of sources including The Intercept and Reason. Although C4SS has a very negative view of Trump and the GOP, they also do not support the progressive left because they are capitalists: No, Bernie Will Not Save Us. In other words, the Progressive Democrats are not left enough.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Center for a Stateless Society strongly Left Biased based on anti-capitalism views as well as support for liberal social positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/23/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/21/2020)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm