These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Portland Press-Herald Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1862, The Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram is a morning daily newspaper with a website that serves southern Maine and is focused on the greater metropolitan area around Portland, Maine, in the United States. The current editor is Cliff Schechtman.
Funded by / Ownership
The Portland Press-Herald is owned by MaineToday Media Inc., which is a privately owned publisher of daily and weekly newspapers in the state of Maine. Revenue is derived through advertising, sponsored content, and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Portland Press-Herald reports news, sports, weather, business, and lifestyle through reporters with minimal bias such as this: Protesters, supporters gather in Guilford as Trump visit nears. National and international news is republished through the Associated Press and Bloomberg news.
Editorially, the Press-Herald typically endorses Democratic candidates such as Hilary Clinton for President in 2016. Further, they often report negatively on conservative politicians such as this: Our View: To President Trump: You should resign now. In general, they report news factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Portland Press-Herald Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/7/2016) Updated (6/5/2020)
Last Updated on June 5, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm