Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1786, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is a broadsheet newspaper and the largest serving metropolitan Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It has won six Pulitzer Prizes since 1938. The current editor is David Shribman.
Funded by / Ownership
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is owned by Block Communications, which also owns Pittsburgh Press and the Toledo Blade. The newspaper and website are funded through an advertising and subscription model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports local news through journalists with minimal loaded words and proper sourcing. National and World news come from various established left-center and least biased sources such as the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Associated Press. Editorially, according to Ballotpedia, the Post-Gazette always endorses Democratic candidates in Presidential elections. However, in 2016 they did not endorse either candidate, and in Pennsylvania elections, they favored mostly Republican candidates, representing a shift in editorial direction. Further, in 2020 they endorsed Republican Donald Trump for President. A thorough review of editorial columns indicates that they publish both sides; however, right-leaning opinion outweighs the left. Further, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette fired a prominent political cartoonist who frequently portrayed Donald Trump negatively.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Right-Center biased based on recent endorsements of Republican candidates and editorials that favor right-leaning causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/30/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 07/09/2021)
Last Updated on July 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am