These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Peoria Journal Star Least Biased based on low biased news reporting and a reasonably balanced editorial page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1855, the Peoria Journal Star is a daily newspaper for Peoria, Illinois, and the surrounding area. The current editor is Dennis Anderson.
Funded by / Ownership
The Peoria Journal Star is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the news is locally produced through reporters with minimal bias such as this Police searching for suspect in late-night Central Peoria shooting. National and international news is republished through the USA Today Network and the Associated Press.
Editorially, the Journal Star is known for having a Libertarian lean. For example, in 1980 they endorsed Libertarian Presidential Candidate Ed Clark. However, most recently they have been endorsing Democratic Presidential candidates such as Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Barack Obama in 2008. A review of editorials demonstrates more slightly favoring Libertarian perspectives such as this Editorial: Can we trust ‘Fair Tax’ if we don’t have Fair Maps? In general, the news is reported factually with a slight right-leaning bias editorially, however, all perspectives are present and therefore earn a least biased rating.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Peoria Journal Star Least Biased based on low biased news reporting and a reasonably balanced editorial page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 4/8/2020)
Last Updated on July 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am