These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate Newsela Least Biased based neutral reporting of news. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to the use of proper high factual sources and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2013, Newsela is a database of current events stories tailor-made for classroom use. Stories are indexed by news or library, which are both student-friendly and can be accessed in different formats by reading level. The website displays a masthead here.
The website lacks some transparency through not openly disclosing ownership/funding as well as not always providing names of authors.
Funded by / Ownership
Newsela.com is owned by Newsela Inc., which recently raised 50 million from Technology Crossover Ventures. The website offers limited free content and generates revenue through charging educators and school districts for full access to the site.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Newsela typically re-writes news stories from other sources with minimal bias presented. They boast over 100 content partners such as New York Times, Washington Post, and the Associated Press. They also utilize pro-science sources such as Scientific American, Smithsonian, and Atlas Obscura. In reviewing their content partners, all align with least biased, Left-Center, or Left. We could not find an instance of a right-leaning source by our criteria.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Newsela Least Biased based neutral reporting of news. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to the use of proper high factual sources and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/20/2016) Updated (1/20/2020)
Last Updated on July 1, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am