These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Military Times Least Biased based on balanced news reporting and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1940, Military Times is a part of the Sightline Media Group, formerly known as the Army Times Publishing Company. Sightline Media Group also publishes The Military Times group, which comprises four bimonthly newspapers. These are Army Times (founded 1940), Navy Times (founded 1951), Air Force Times (founded 1947), and Marine Corps Times. Please note that these are not US government publications. The Executive Editor of Military Times is Andrew Tilghman.
The Military Times provides news and information, daily newsletters, video content, and podcasts to the U.S. military community.
Sightline Media Group is based in Northern Virginia. Peter Lundquist is the president of Sightline Media Group. David Smith is the vice president and general manager for all of Sightline’s business brands: Defense News, Federal Times, and C4ISR & Networks.
Funded by / Ownership
The Military Times is owned by Sightline Media Group, formerly owned by Gannett Company, which is best known for its flagship national newspaper USA Today. Currently, Sightline Media Group is owned by Regent, L.P. Regent is a private equity firm based in Los Angeles/California. Military Times is funded through advertising and subscriptions to the 4 military publications under the Military Times umbrella.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Military Times covers military news and defense policy using minimally loaded language such as this: Navy SEAL scheduled to plead guilty in strangling death of Army Green Beret staff sergeant, and A West Point investigator died during an Army PT test. All information in articles is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as the Associated Press, Politico, Reuters, and .gov sites. In general, Military Times serves as a portal for news stories published on Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps Times. Editorially, they are balanced with primarily centrist views that slightly lean left on gender and lean right in their support of military strength. In general, Army Times covers military news with very low bias in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Military Times Least Biased based on balanced news reporting and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/6/2016) Updated (8/14/2019)
Last Updated on April 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am