These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Defense News Least Biased based on balanced news reporting and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1986, Defense News is a global website and magazine about politics, business and technology of defense. According to their about page “Defense News serves an audience of senior military, government and industry decision-makers throughout the world.” The current publisher is Michael Reinstein and the Editor-in-Chief is Jill Aitoro. Defense News also has a weekly TV show that airs in Washington D.C. on WETA-TV and is called Defense News Weekly.
Read our profile on USA government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Defense News is owned by Sightline Media Group, which also publishes Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times, and Marine Corps Times. Sightline Media Group was formerly owned by Gannett Company, which is best known for its flagship national newspaper USA Today. Defense News is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Defense News covers military news and defense policy with the use of minimally loaded language such as this: Six things on the Pentagon’s 2019 acquisition reform checklist. All information in articles is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as the Associated Press, Politico, Reuters, Military Times and .gov sites. Editorially, they are very balanced with primarily centrist views, that slightly lean right in their support of military strength. In general, Defense News covers military news with very low bias in reporting.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Defense News Least Biased based on balanced news reporting and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information. (D. Van Zandt 1/1/2019)
Last Updated on March 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am