Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: Israel 88/180
Founded in 2oo7, Israel Hayom (Israel Today) is a free daily newspaper and news website, headquartered in Tel Aviv, Israel. It is published in Hebrew in print and Hebrew and English language online. Israel Hayom has been organized into sections such as Opinions, Middle East, Jewish World, World News, and Magazine. Israel Hayom is known for its strong right-wing stances on domestic and foreign issues. The founder is Sheldon Adelson and his wife Miriam Adelson is the publisher. Boaz Bismuth is the Editor-in-Chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Israel Hayom is owned by Sheldon Adelson, an American businessman, and casino-tycoon. He is also one of the largest donors to the Republican Party. His wife Miriam Adelson is the publisher of the paper and also a prominent Republican donor. Revenue is generated through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Israel Hayom covers Israeli and regional news with strong loaded emotional language such as this: “Netanyahu won the fight of his life.” A quote from the article reads “Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu managed to increase the Likud’s electoral share to 36-37 seats – despite the three indictments against him, despite the venomous criticism of him from Blue -and White/Labor Gesher-Meretz/Avigdor Lieberman, despite the media efforts by journalists who long ago stopped being fair and objective analysts and turned into pundits whose goal was to see Netanyahu go to jail – is a huge achievement.” When describing the opposition they often use denigrating language such as this “Former IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz, on the other hand, scored a painful failure.” In general, Israel Hayom promotes Netanyahu’s political agenda and has a very strong right-leaning bias in reporting. Israel Hayom also endorsed Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential election and often publishes strongly biased editorials praising Trump such as “An amazing friend to Israel departs the White House; thank you, President Trump.”
When it comes to sourcing, for example in this article “Trump administration formally notifies Congress it plans to sell 50 F-35 jets to UAE” they source from the Associated Press. They also source from right biased Israeli sources such as the Jewish News Syndicate (JNS).
When covering the Israeli-Palestinian conflict they usually use emotionally charged wording such as in this article, with a quote that reads “Peace between Israel and the UAE could have benefitted the Palestinians enormously, but they prefer to cling to frustration, anger, and dreams that will never come true.”
Failed Fact Checks
- One of the clauses in the nuclear deal reached between world powers and Iran last week guarantees that the world powers will assist Iran in thwarting attempts to undermine its nuclear program” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate Israel Hayom Right Biased based on editorial positions that strongly favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact and promotion of pro-government propaganda. (11/10/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 11/17/2020)
Last Updated on November 17, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am