These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate +972 Magazine Left-Center Biased based on the wording and editorial positions that lean left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
According to their about page, +972 Magazine was founded in 2010 and it is a “blog-based magazine” that was created and is owned by a group of Israeli and Palestinian “journalists, bloggers, and photographers”. They state their goal as “to provide fresh, original, on-the-ground reporting and analysis of events in Israel and Palestine” The Editor-in-Chief is Michael Schaeffer Omer-Man and the Deputy Editor is the former Haaretz Editor, Edo Konrad.
A complete list, including the Founding members and Board of Directors, can be viewed Here.
Read our profile on Israel’s media and government.
Funded by / Ownership
+972 Magazine is published by the Israeli Registrar and all donations go to the Non-Profit “972 – Advancement of Citizen Journalism”. They list all the grants and donations from foreign entities, which can be found under the finances section. However, when we looked at the Rockefeller Brothers grants, according to the Rockefeller site, they received four grants from the Rockefeller Brothers Fund totaling $390,000 (2012-2018) which contradicts +972’s report of $320,000.
Analysis / Bias
+972 Magazine reports, that according to Progressive German paper Die Tageszeitung’s (Taz) article, “the Israeli gov’t sent a seven-page letter to German Officials urging them to defund +972 Magazine, such as Grants from Heinrich Böll Foundation (affiliated with Germany’s Green Party), claiming that +972 Magazine goes against Israel’s interests because “the authors regularly accuse Israel of apartheid.”
In review, +972 Magazine articles tend to lean left and are critical of the right-leaning Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu. +972 Magazine utilizes emotionally loaded words in their headlines such as “Netanyahu will do all he can to destroy Jewish-Arab alliances” and “’For many young American Jews, the Trump-Bibi axis is the enemy’”, and How Trump energizes deniers of Palestinian independence. Further, they typically utilize credible sources such Haaretz, Die Tageszeitung, New Yorker, New York Times, and usip.org. In general, story selection is negative toward Israeli policy concerning the Palestinians.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate +972 Magazine Left-Center Biased based on the wording and editorial positions that lean left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 1/7/2019) Updated (12/16/2021)
Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm