Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact Checks, Conspiracy Theories, Hate Group
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2002, The Hal Turner Radio Show is a shortwave radio broadcast and website by Far-Right conspiracy theorist Hal Turner. He is a convicted felon from North Bergen, New Jersey. According to their about page, Turner states, “Hal Turner is the only living media personality in the United States to be imprisoned by the federal government for writing an Editorial they didn’t like!” He also describes his political views as “Hal Turner is so far to the right he made Rush Limbaugh look like a liberal, and Sean Hannity seem like a girly-man! Michael Savage and Mark Levin don’t even come close.”
In 2009, it was revealed that Hal Turner lived a double life as shock jock Neo-Nazi by day and an FBI informant giving information on other Neo-Nazi, white supremacists.
On 21 December 2010, he was sentenced to 33 months in prison for threatening to kill three federal appellate judges. Upon completing his sentence, he was barred from participating in Internet or satellite radio programming for three years.
Turner returned to radio and blogging in 2015.
Funded by / Ownership
Hal Turner owns the radio show and website. Advertising, sponsored content, donations, and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Hal Turner’s radio program and website promote an extreme right perspective that often contains false or misleading information. Articles and headlines often contain emotionally loaded wording such as this Evidence in federal court case PROVES Big Tech has WRITTEN AGREEMENT with U.S. government to censor American’s free speech! This story contains zero information or evidence to support the claims in the headline.
Hal Turner frequently promotes conspiracy theories such as this one involving the Clinton’s murdering people Reporter Who Broke Story Of 2016 Bill Clinton-Loretta Lynch Secret Tarmac Meeting Found Dead. He also promotes Holocaust denial, falsehoods regarding climate change, and white supremacy. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, “Harold C. “Hal” Turner is a white supremacist true believer who has used radio and Internet broadcasts to disseminate his hate since the 1990s.” Further, the Anti-Defamation League calls Turner a “White Supremacist and Neo-Nazi.”
Finally, during 2020, Hal Turner repeatedly published false information regarding covid-19 and election fraud (see failed fact checks below). In general, Hal Turner is an extreme right conspiracy theorist who frequently promotes hate.
Failed Fact Checks
- People with the COVID-19 vaccine are being “tracked in real-time via 5G cellular, and all that data can be hacked into to track you.” – Pants on Fire
- Says the coronavirus is “a MILITARY BIO-WEAPON Developed by China’s Army.” – False
- “1776 flag flying over White House!” in January 2021. “Revolution Signal.” – False
- “[H]ow is it that ALL of these phony names are ALL registered to vote, and ALL registered as Democrats?” – False
- Says Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said, ‘You will give up your guns; if you don’t, I’ll have the National Guard cut your power, your phone lines, and your internet. Then, if you still refuse to comply, I’ll have you killed.’” – Pants on Fire
- Canada’s Strategic Planning Committee’s “global reset plan” to deal with COVID-19, including strict lockdowns and mandatory vaccines. – False
- “Hal Turner: 50,000 Chinese Soldiers Were Bombed and Killed in Maine Which Was Listed as an Earthquake,” – False
- These are a small sampling of failed fact checks. There are dozens.
Overall, we rate the Hal Turner Radio Show extreme right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of extreme right-wing propaganda, conspiracy theories, and hate. We also rate him Very Low in factual reporting due to an abysmal track record with fact-checking and little or no sourcing of information. (D. Van Zandt 6/26/2021)
Last Updated on May 24, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.