These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Gun Violence Archive Left-Center Biased and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and for being a credible information source for fact checkers.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2013 by Michael Klein and Mark Bryant, the Gun Violence Archive is a database of known shootings in the USA. According to their about page “The Gun Violence Archive is an online archive of gun violence incidents collected from over 2,500 law enforcement, media, government and commercial sources daily in an effort to provide near-real time data about the results of gun violence. GVA is an independent data collection and research group with no affiliation with any advocacy organization.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Gun Violence Archive is a nonprofit that was funded by philanthropist and open government advocate Mike Klein.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Gun Violence Archive records incidents of gun violence and gun crime. According to their methodology page they “utilize automated queries, manual research through over 2,500 sources from local and state police, media, data aggregates, government and other sources daily. Each incident is verified by both initial researchers and secondary validation processes. Links to each incident are included in the incident report to provide further information on each incident for researchers, advocate groups, media and legislative interests. The incident reports provide a starting point for researchers, media and legislative interests to add texture to our raw data.”
The incident report is straightforward, listing the date, location, number of killed or injured and finally a link to the source. Gun Violence Archive also tracks mass shootings using the classification of 4 or more people being shot. The website also features an analysis and opinion section that links to other news sources. This has not been updated since 2015.
In general, GVA simply reports incidents of gun violence, however pro-second amendment and right leaning groups have criticized them as “gun control activists.” GVA does not state a position on gun control. However, founder Mark Bryant left the NRA several years ago and criticizes them for changing from more of a “marksmanship and gun safety organization than the political powerhouse it has morphed into today.”
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check, in fact they are used frequently by fact checkers for their data.
Overall, we rate the Gun Violence Archive Left-Center Biased and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and for being a credible information source for fact checkers. (D. Van Zandt 3/24/2019)
Last Updated on April 8, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am