These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Giffords.org Left Biased based on their endorsements of Democratic political candidates and advocacy for gun control and progressive left policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact-check record and for serving as an IFCN fact-checkers resource.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2013, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Giffords.org) is a 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C., that focuses on promoting gun control. It was previously known as Americans for Responsible Solutions (ARS).
Their about page describes their mission as “fighting to end the gun lobby’s stranglehold on our political system.” Giffords served as a Democratic member of the U.S. House, representing Arizona’s 8th Congressional District. Gabby Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, are the founders. In 2011, Giffords was shot while meeting her constituents in Tucson, Arizona. Giffords survived the attack and has become an advocate for safer gun laws.
Funded by / Ownership
Giffords.org’s work is supported primarily by donors. Here is their donate page and various donation options. Nonprofit evaluator Charity Navigator has awarded them 100 out of 100 on their Finance & Accountability Score, which is “an assessment of a nonprofit’s financial health (stability, efficiency, and sustainability) and its commitment to governance practices and policies,” and Donors can “Give with Confidence” to this charity.
Analysis / Bias
Giffords.org primarily endorses Democratic candidates; some of the candidates they have supported in recent elections are Adam Schiff, Democrat California – 28th District; Andrea Salinas Democrat, Oregon – 6th District, Beto O’Rourke Governor Democrat – Texas. For a complete list, please see here.
In review, articles published by Giffords.org under the blog feature topics such as the voices of gun violence survivors and youth activists. Headlines are emotionally charged, such as “Ghost Guns Are a Major Problem. Responsible Gun Owners Are Demanding Solutions.”
Articles are typically sourced through credible outlets such as The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF); however, some claims are not referenced through hyperlinking. For example, a quote from the article reads, “With nearly 50,000 Americans dying from gun violence in 2021.” Although factual, there is no link to a source to back up the claim.
In general, the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence is a fact-based left-leaning gun regulation advocacy group.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. They are used as a resource for fact-checkers.
Overall, we rate Giffords.org Left Biased based on their endorsements of Democratic political candidates and advocacy for gun control and progressive left policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact-check record and for serving as an IFCN fact-checkers resource. (M. Huitsing 09/11/2022)
Last Updated on September 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am