Last updated on March 31st, 2020 at 08:04 pm
- Overall, we rate Everytown for Gun Safety Questionable based on methodology that is often misleading as well as promotion of propaganda through exaggerated statistics. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers.
Reasoning: Left Bias, Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2006 by Michael R. Bloomberg, Everytown for Gun Safety is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun control and against gun violence. According to their about page “Everytown for Gun Safety seeks to improve our understanding of the causes of gun violence and the means to reduce it – by conducting groundbreaking original research, developing evidence-based policies, and communicating this knowledge in the courts and the court of public opinion.”
Funded by / Ownership
Everytown for Gun Safety is an independent, non-partisan 501(c)(3) organization that is primarily funded by Michael Bloomberg. Additional funding comes through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Everytown for Gun Safety is an organization that advocates for gun safety through stronger background checks, prohibiting domestic abusers from obtaining firearms, and holding the gun industry accountable. The website presents fact sheets under different categories that highlight their reasoning. For example, under the stronger background checks category, they report Background Checks Save Lives and Protect Our Communities. This fact sheet is well researched and thoroughly sourced to credible medical journals and university studies.
According to the right leaning Influence Watch (The right’s version of Sourcewatch), Everytown is a lobbying group that has been criticized for playing “loose with the facts.” They sight several examples of criticism from the New York Times, Washington Post, Washington Times and Washington Examiner. One example of this criticism is how Everytown calculates school shootings. Everytown counts a school shooting “any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds.” This includes a security offers accidental discharges or other accidental incidents that did not result in injuries. Politifact has rated their calculation method Mostly False.
In general, Everytown publishes news and research that supports gun control to increase safety. While they most often properly source their information, their methodology for calculating gun related events has been criticized as being exaggerated or simply not accurate.
A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers.
- 18 U.S. school shootings so far in 2018 and 18 in rest of the world over past 20 years – MOSTLY FALSE
- There have been 74 “school shootings in America since Sandy Hook.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- “Once again, a police officer has been killed with an illegal gun from Georgia – a state that last year did the NRA’s bidding and weakened its already lax gun laws.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- Says that “perpetrators of domestic violence accounted for 54% of mass shootings between 2009 and 2016, according to the advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety.” – FALSE
- Georgia has had 12 school shootings in the two years since the mass killing at Sandy Hook Elementary School, more than any other state. – MOSTLY FALSE
Overall, we rate Everytown for Gun Safety Questionable based on methodology that is often misleading as well as promotion of propaganda through exaggerated statistics. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers. (D. Van Zandt 8/26/2019)