Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate GlobalResearch a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy and Strong Pseudoscience website based on the promotion of unproven information such as the dangers of Vaccines and 9-11 as a false flag operation.
Bias Rating: CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: Canada (16/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2001, GlobalResearch or Centre for Research on Globalization is a Canadian conspiracy website. It was founded by Michel Chossudovsky who is currently the President of GlobalResearch and professor emeritus of economics at the University of Ottawa. The website does not have an about page, but they do list the people involved with the operation.
Read our profile on Canadian government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Although GlobalResearch does not state ownership, it is assumed Michel Chossudovky is the owner. Revenue is derived through donations and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, GlobalResearch publishes a combination of real news and conspiracy theories. We will focus on the not-so-real news. GlobalResearch often reports unfavorably about Israel such as this: The Zionist Idea Has Never Been More Terrifying than It Is Today. This unlabeled opinion piece does not provide a single source of evidence for their claims. When it comes to politics they are strongly anti-capitalism and anti-Globalist as their name suggests. While GlobalResearch does promote legitimate humanitarian concerns, its views on science, economics, and geopolitics are very questionable. For example, GR promotes anti-vaccination propaganda, 9-11 as a false flag operation, GMOs are harmful, and Chemtrails. There are so many more, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
In general, this is a website the purports to be concerned for humanity, yet routinely publishes false information that misleads humanity.
Failed Fact Checks
- “The most likely triggering cause of (microcephaly)” is the “DTaP shot, a vaccine that had been recently mandated by the Brazilian government to be injected into pregnant women.” – False
- Are hospitals inflating the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths so they can be paid more? – False
- “There are no reliable tests for a specific COVID-19 virus” – Inaccurate
- “vaccines had cancer enzymes in them” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate GlobalResearch a Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy and Strong Pseudoscience website based on the promotion of unproven information such as the dangers of Vaccines and 9-11 as a false flag operation. (D. Van Zandt 7/20/2016) Updated (4/22/2020)