Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2001, The Center for Global Development (CGD) is an “independent and non-partisan group that works to reduce global poverty and inequality through rigorous research and active engagement with the policy community to make the world a more prosperous, just, and safe place for us all.”
CGD was ranked the 13th most prominent think tank in the international development sphere by the University of Pennsylvania’s “2015 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report.”
Funded by / Ownership
According to their funding page, “The Center for Global Development is an independent, nonpartisan research institution and a 501(c)(3) organization, supported by contributions from individuals, foundations, bilateral organizations, and corporations.” The website openly lists its donors, most coming from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Open Philanthropy Project.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Center for Global Development (CGD) promotes combating global poverty, reducing carbon emissions, and promoting pro-science positions such as vaccination in developing countries. Further, the website reports on sustainable development and Gender and Equality. The website also features a blog that reports news and analysis from a left-leaning perspective. For example, this story: Russia, DFC, and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea Buried in the Spending Law. This story, like most, is correctly sourced to credible outlets such as House.gov, Congress.gov, and the DFC.
The website frequently reports on the dangers of climate change and denigrates the former Trump administration, such as this: Trump’s Strangest Trade Idea Yet. In general, the CGD reports factually but offers a left-leaning perspective by promoting liberal-leaning causes.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Center for Global Development Left-Center Biased based on the promotion of policy that mostly aligns with the Democratic Party. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/6/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 05/29/2022)
Last Updated on May 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am